Actions and Automate Batch, is very helpful in creation of large number of thumbnails in case of Product Catalogue's or website where there are many product images. Adobe Photoshop commands which has to be repeatedly used on many files can be created as an action and saved as .ATN file which can run over the required files through Automate command. Actions speed up the whole process to a large extent and works as a great time saver. In this current Firewire Newsletter we have cover the step by step process of recording actions and running it through automate batch to generate thumbnails.
Click here to download the source (.atn) file.
This Newsletter contains step by step guide to create thumbnails using Action and Automate in Adobe Photoshop*.
1. Create a new folder named rawimages and paste them inside the rawimages folder. Maintain the Image size same for all the raw images by resizing or by editing the extra part of the image. The width and height should be proportionate and all the images should be of same dimentions.
In case the images are already of the same size then there is no need of resizing or editing.
2. The raw scanned or photoshoot image is generally blur it needs image touching to get the finished look.
Steps for image Touching Through Actions
3. Open Adobe Photoshop software
4. Select File > Open > rawimages > 001.jpg
5. Choose Windows > Show Actions
6. Click on the folder icon on the bottom bar of the Action window "New Set" the new set window opens
7. Name the set as "thumbnail-action"
8. Save the Action Set in a folder from where it can be retrived later.
9. If an Action is not saved it will work only on a single machine.
10. A saved action file .ATN file can be called from any machine or can be mailed, to speed up work.
11. Click on "Create New Action" under "thumbnail-action" set
12. The "New Action" window opens
13. Specify a new action name "Thumbnail"
14. click "Record". By clicking on the record command all the steps gets recorded under the action name "Thumbnail"
Steps to set Image size of all the small thumbnails
15. Choose Image > Image Size
16. The "Image Size" window open.
17. Specify Pixel Dimensions Width: 80 px and Height: 80 px with Constrain Proportions. Click OK
(the width and height of the thumbnail images will be dependant on the user's requirement)
18. After the Image size the quality of the image has to be improved since transformation of an image spoils the quality.
Steps to sharpen the Image
19. Choose Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask
20. The "Unsharp Mask" window open.
21. Set Panel Property Amount: 50% Radius: 1.0 Pixels Threshold: 1 levels Click OK
Image becomes sharp and clear.
Steps for Image Touching
22. To give more brighter look to the image.
23. Choose Dodge Tool (O) in Tool Panel
24. Set Property in Option panel of Dodge tool Brush Size : 250px; Range: Highlights Exposure: 40%
Apply Dodge on the Image by clicking over it, the overall look of the image is enhanced
25. Choose Image > Adjust > Brightness/Contrast
26. The "Brightness/Contrast" window open.
Specify the property as Brightness: 7 & Contrast: 6
The Image touching is completed.
27. To specify border to the images
28. Create New Layer for a Border
29. Specify New layer Name "Border"
30. For a selection choose Select > All ( Ctrl+A )
31. Set the Foreground color #00C6FF for a border